That unmistakable heart-sinking feeling of self-consciousness as your fingers alight upon that hair on your chin.
Instant thoughts……….”Oh, maaan – how long has that been there?”
“How did it get so long before I’ve noticed it?!”
“Has anyone else noticed it?!”
“I’m getting old“
Worst of all………..”How many more are there….”!!!
As I sat procrastinating, there it was and of course, once discovered, the futile, surreptitious, almost subconscious worrying, and tugging at it begins! So starts, what probably equates to hours of the day – distracted!
How to handle distractions
What’s your nemesis when it comes to distraction?
Another one of my favourites is those little bits of loose skin around your nails when you just know it’s going to bleed and hurt, but you pull it anyway. Distractions come in many forms, some are internal; the constant mind chatter that robs you of concentration and some are external – people, calls, TV, social media, chin hair!
The thing is, time is all we have to get us to where we want to go. Focused time and energy doing what we love or following a plan to reach a goal is THE only way you will achieve your dreams. You must learn how to handle distractions if you are going to lead a life of purpose. So here are a few tips on how to handle distractions.
- Plan out your ‘focus’ time in 30-40 min blocks.
- Recognise your weaknesses and PLAN AHEAD.
- Have a notebook open – if your mind wanders, write it straight down, get it out of your head, and get back to work.
- Chin hair? Keep some tweezers to hand!
- Bleeding nail beds – just me? – Keep some plasters to hand.
- Hunger – Keep water on the desk and have a healthy snack before you dive into your ‘block’.
- Plan time – perhaps 30 mins in the morning and 30 mins in the afternoon, to address those thoughts.
- Say NO. Learn to say no and put yourself at the head of your agenda.
- NO to cute puppies on social
- NO to one more Netflix episode
NO to “Discover this one secret that you never knew to solve all your problems…..”
- NO to “could you just do this one thing for me, because my agenda is more important than yours’.
- Is your environment appropriate and are you comfortable? You shouldn’t need me to spell this out, but you will not focus when the radio or TV is on and you are sat on the sofa!
- Keep a picture in sight that will remind you of your goal – just don’t get distracted by looking at it and daydreaming!!!
It’s easy to lose 2-4 hours a day on STUFF. Don’t be that person. Have pride in yourself, guard your time and spend it in the pursuit of your dreams, whether that is more time with loved ones or world domination!
The last question remains though….
Are you actually passionate enough about anything to want to conquer the distractions ?
Think about that, because most people aren’t.
If you just know there is more to life, if you just know you are meant to be doing something else or if you just want to take a look at something different, why not start here.
I hope this has given you something to think about – but not distracted you! 🙂
Yours in health, growth and happiness,
PS. This link may just change your life – it did for me.
PPS. I’m always here if you have any questions about working online or about your health and fitness.